Feeding, Clothing & Caring
Haverhill’s low-income and homeless residents
The Common Ground Café provides a coffee house style café for Haverhill’s low-income and homeless residents. Located at 125 Winter Street in Haverhill’s inner-city Acre neighborhood it is an outreach of Common Ground Ministries, Inc.
People can visit the café and enjoy good conversation as well as coffee in an atmosphere described as being “an oasis of comfort and acceptance.” On Saturdays, we provide breakfast and free bagged lunches.
Common Ground Café operates a Food Bank, a Clothing Outreach and Thrift Store both located around the corner at 8 White Street.
Some of our activities include:
- Distribution of over 15,000 pounds of food every month to families in need
- We work closely with many other social agencies in Haverhill
- Every September we distribute a tractor-trailer load of household items and non-perishables goods for free to families in need. We also provide lunch for the approximately 1000 people helped.
- Each Christmas we celebrate the season at the Café with music and food, and distribute over 100 holiday gift bags.
- On the last Saturday of each month we celebrate that months birthdays of our visitors with a small party including cake. Little efforts like this really help encourage people in difficult situations.
- We provide free weekly ESL classes Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30 P.M. Classes are held September through May.
We are supported by the generous people of Haverhill and the surrounding area. We have been able to provide these benefits because of the years of generosity of local businesses, individuals, churches, foundations and government agencies.
The needs are great and growing but the good news is we are here working to meet those needs and bring a friendly smile, a warm cup of coffee and a helping hand to people in need – won't you join us.
Tel: 978-372-3336 Fax: 978-372-3055